The Sport and Recreation Alliance believes that the power of sport and recreation can change lives and bring communities together. With our members and in partnership with the wider sector, we make the most of opportunities and tackle the areas that provide a challenge. We provide advice, support and guidance to our members and the sector, who represent traditional governing bodies of games and sport, active partnerships, outdoor recreation, water pursuits, and movement and dance for exercise. As the voice of the sector, we work with the Government, policy makers and the media to make sure grassroots sport and recreation grows and thrives. Having an active nation is important as it delivers huge benefits to society and millions of participants, volunteers, staff and spectators.
One of the ways the Sport and Recreation Alliance supports its members and the wider sector is by providing guidance, training and advice on governance issues. The Governance Manager is responsible for managing and developing our work in this area to achieve our strategic objectives, to help members to improve their governance and achieve legal compliance and best practice. Improving the governance of sport, including improving Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI), is a key strategic priority for the Alliance.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Governance Manager works within the Governance Team and reports to the Head of Governance. The main responsibilities of the role are:
- Manage the delivery of the Alliance’s strategy for governance to uphold the Alliance’s reputation as the leading organisation for governance support in the sector.
- Working with the Head of Governance to develop the Alliance’s EDI action plan to lead our members to be more diverse and inclusive.
- Manage the delivery of EDI support to our members including project delivery, toolkit development, training and guidance.
- Establish and manage a mechanism for monitoring and reviewing the impact of our EDI work across our members.
- Develop and successfully deliver governance projects, initiatives and consultancy services that reinforce the Alliance as the lead organisation for, and supplier of, governance support in the sector.
- Manage the marketing and support of governance consultancy services including the Alliance’s board evaluation service.
- Engage and manage governance consultants to deliver first class services to our members where required.
- Plan, manage and deliver governance training, member engagement and governance resources including budgets assigned to relevant programmes.
- Support the Head of Governance in establishing annual operational plans and budgets.
- Establish, lead and manage the Alliance’s network groups which provide members with access to events and resources such as the Youth Advisory Panel, Sport and Recreation Governance Network and CoSec and Governance Forum.
- Represent the Alliance at appropriate external events and develop close member and partner relations.
- Be proactive in addressing governance issues which may affect our members, and in preparing members for the impact of these through workshops, briefing notes and other written communication.
- Manage staff within the governance team.
- Any other duties as reasonably required by the Head of Governance.
How to apply
To apply, please request an application form by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to complete the full application form paying particular attention to the supporting statement section outlining why you want the role and how you meet the role specification. Refer to our guidance notes for applicants and full job description to help you when applying. You can also include a CV.
Send your completed application form to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is 11.59pm on Monday 4 October 2021. Dates for interview will be confirmed.
The Sport and Recreation Alliance believes that a child, young person or adult at risk should never experience abuse of any kind. We all have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children and young people and to keep them safe. Therefore, all posts undergo a safer recruitment process, including but not limited to, disclosure of criminal records where necessary and eligibility to work in the UK. We have procedures in place to promote safeguarding and a safe culture at the Alliance.
Prior to completing and submitting an application, please refer to our privacy notices on our website.
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
It would help us if you were able to complete our Equality and Diversity Monitoring Survey.
This does not form part of the recruitment process.
Recruitment Agencies - please note we are only looking at direct sourcing for this role and if this were to change, we will contact our preferred agencies directly.