Membership of the Alliance has many benefits. To make sure we are effectively supporting the sector we are constantly working with and listening to our members. In a recent membership review our members told us the three benefits of membership they value the most.
Voice of the Sector
Campaigns and Initiatives
As a member of the Alliance, we will represent you when we speak with Government, policy makers and the media.
- We undertake research and produce reports to evidence the value of sport and recreation and lead public campaigns.
- Influencing sports policy - The Alliance influences the development of sports policy through a number of different means. We engage with Government ministers and officials, lobby members of Parliament, respond to public consultations and submit evidence to inquiries which affect our members.
- The team works tirelessly to demonstrate the social and economical value of sport and you can view reports that form a great deal of the basis of our lobbying and policy work
- We also provide Secretariat support for the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Sport, allowing the Group’s members to draw on the knowledge and experiences of our members and to hear from guest speakers and parliamentarians.
If you are a member and need the support of the Policy team please contact email@example.com
Latest sector updates
- Daily News Summary - each day, we compile a roundup of all the important breaking news from across the sector and deliver it straight to your inbox.
- Policy and Research Update - provides you with a monthly roundup of all the important developments affecting our sector, and our latest policy and research work.
- EDI Newsletter - a monthly update about the latest EDI news, events and resources from across our membership and the wider sector.
To see why we claim to be the voice of the sport and recreation sector, please see the members we work on behalf of.
Access to in-house experts
The Governance team is on-hand to assist our members with corporate governance, helping you to develop individual leaders in your organisation and to undertake board reviews to make sure your board is performing as effectively as it can be.
- Members can also benefit from access to our Governance Training Programme at heavily discounted rates. The workshops and webinars will give you the tools and support you need to implement change within your organisation and to take the important next steps on your journey towards achieving a gold standard of governance.
- Sign up to our Principles of Good Governance. The Principles have been produced by the sector, for the sector; therefore we encourage its use throughout every size and type of sport or recreation organisation. By signing up to The Principles, you are demonstrating a commitment to good governance within your organisation.
Our Policy team help members with protecting and promoting your interests in Parliament. We advise and assist with consultations, campaigns and parliamentary questions.
- You can also stay in the loop with the latest news effecting the sector being discussed in the Policy and Research Update.
- We will support you in times of change, with regular updates provided to members during the COVID-19 pandemic and cost-of-living crisis.
Our Communications team is the engine behind Alliance work. They keep the sector up to date with all the important news. Members enjoy receiving a variety of useful updates including:
- Our social media channels - We are active across Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube and are always looking to share the great work our members are doing on these channels so get in touch.
- Need to make a big splash but not sure how to start? The Alliance’s comms and marketing team are on hand to provide advice and guidance. To discuss further, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research and Development
Our Research and Development team provides our members with access to industry leading expertise in research. The team offers a 360 degree suite of services designed to support organisations at every stage of development through their insight journey. Members can come to our R&D team for:
- Advice and guidance when procuring research services from the market place
- Help in identifying areas of research missing from your current insight portfolio
- Expertise in designing research to answer questions critical in shaping your organisation’s future
- In depth analysis of your existing datasets (qual and quant) to yield unique insights
- High-resolution visualisation and presentation of your organisation's insights
- Strategic thinking to harness the insight yield and drive your organisation's next steps.
Events, Training and Networking
The Alliance provides a range of fantastic events for members, from our flagship awards ceremony with HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, to our regular networking and training events. Our largest events are:
- Fit for the Future Convention - based around a pressing topic from sport and recreation, this event also provides essential networking opportunities throughout the day and over a 3-course dinner.
- Community Sport and Recreation Awards – we celebrate grassroots community clubs and host an awards lunch that HRH The Duke of Edinburgh attends. Find out more about the awards.
- Annual General Meeting - hosted by our President, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, the event is a fantastic opportunity for members to give their feedback to the Alliance and network with sector colleagues.
As a member you will receive heavily reduced rates to our:
- Governance Training Programme - which focuses on improving practices within your organisation in a number of ways. Previous years' programmes have looked at:
- Effective Chairing Skills
- Role of the Director and the Board
- Sporting Landscape for new Directors
- Developing strategic thinking
- FREE Quarterly Divisional Meeting - by becoming an Alliance member, you are placed in a division containing other sport and recreation organisations where quarterly meetings take place.