Head of Legal
The Head of Legal will lead and manage the Legal function and provide appropriate, effective and timely legal advice and support across the LTA.
The Legal team is responsible for providing legal support/advice across the business, running the disciplinary process and ensuring integrity and best practice governance procedures, processes and controls are in place. In addition the Head of Legal is the Company Secretary and works closely with the Board, Council and various committees.
- Lead, manage and guide the legal team to deliver a professional and commercially focused legal service to the business, and to support their work and development.
- Set and manage the budget for the legal team.
- Advise on appropriate and effective risk management for the business.
- Oversee and take action on complex legal matters, assessing contentious and non-contentious issues and balancing in-house legal expertise against the need to seek managed external advice.
- Be responsible for the drafting and supporting of the negotiations of a wide variety of commercial contracts for the LTA, including revenue generating and broadcasting contracts and supply, funding and facilities agreements.
- Direct and manage any litigation to which the LTA is a party ensuring the effective handling and successful resolution of all disputes and negotiations.
- Monitor, research and analyse implications of legislation, case law and regulatory matters ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation and guidelines including data protection, the Modern Slavery Act and the Bribery Act
- Lead the brand management and intellectual property programme to ensure that the LTA’s brand and intellectual property are protected.
- Advise on LTA freehold and leasehold property and facilities management.
- Support the People Director on employment law matters.
- Be responsible for ensuring that the LTA’s two subsidiary charities comply with relevant charity law.
- Be the LTA Disciplinary Officer dealing with disciplinary cases including investigating complaints, appointing Counsel, bringing charges, effectively presenting cases before Disciplinary Panels and dealing with appeals.
- Advise on the disciplinary structure and creation of an independent judiciary to ensure that the disciplinary procedures are robust and defendable from challenge.
- Ensure that the rules and regulations of the LTA are clear and appropriate for British tennis and provide effective governance of the game of tennis.
- Support the Safeguarding team and provide pro-active and effective legal advice on safeguarding matters including suspensions, investigations, preparing cases, proposed sanctions and DBS checks.
- Advise on any appeals to Sport Resolutions, liaising with Counsel, collating evidence, preparing witness statements and ensuring the LTA’s position is effectively presented before any Panel hearings
Company Secretary/Corporate Governance
- Provide corporate governance strategic advice and support to the Executive Team and the Board and managing internal processes.
- Ensure that Board, Council and General Meetings and Board and Council Nominations meetings are organised and minutes are taken in an efficient and accurate manner and drafting papers.
- Provide effective corporate governance advice to the Chairman of the Board including a skills matrix for Board Members, inductions, training, appraisals and reviews of Board performance and policies and procedures on conflicts of interest, gifts and hospitality, anti-bribery and confidentiality.
How to apply
For more information, please click here.
Closing date for applications is 16 December 2018