Trustee and Board Member
Salary: Volunteer (Expenses Paid)
Pentathlon GB is moving into an exciting and transformational period with the new strategy for Modern Pentathlon now written and the Olympic Games in Tokyo on the horizon. An opportunity exists to become Pentathlon GB Treasurer and Board member. The role offers a rare opportunity to work with an ambitious, progressive National Governing Body most known for its long history of producing medal winning athletes.
1. Membership of one of UK accountancy bodies – ICAEW, ICAS, ACCA, CIPFA, CIMA. Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary organisations.
2. Good financial analysis skills.
3. Ability to communicate clearly.
4. An interest in Modern Pentathlon and/or its constituent disciplines
5. Knowledge of and interest in the UK sporting landscape
6. As a member of the Board, oversee the financial affairs of PGB and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
7. Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
8. Monitor and report regularly to the Board on the financial health of PGB.
9. Oversee the production of necessary statutory financial statements, and other financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
10. Chair the Finance & Governance Committee.
11. Approve quarterly Management accounts and present them to Board
12. Liaise with PGB auditors (currently haysmacintyre) in advance of and after annual audits of MPAGB and London Pentathlon Ltd.
13. Approve monthly payroll in conjunction with third party (currently Business Control),Office Manager and Financial Controller.
14. Make the Board aware of financial considerations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
15. Forecast cash flow positions and available funds
16. Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational needs.
17. Regularly report the financial position at Board meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc.).
18. In conjunction with CEO, oversee the production of an annual budget and operational plan and propose its adoption by the Board.
19. In conjunction with the CEO, help to ensure PGB’s compliance with the UK Sport Code of Governance
20. Maintain a system of policies and procedures that impose an adequate level of control over all PGB financial activities
21. Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place.
22. Appraise the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
23. In conjunction with the CEO supervise staff as regards
a. Bookkeeping duties ensuring posting and bookkeeping is kept up-to-date.
b. Maintaining the petty cash system and expense claims.
c. Regular reconciliations.
d. Arranging payments to creditors as appropriate and arranging appropriate signatures on payments.
d. Making the necessary arrangements to collect payments from debtors and bank payments promptly.
The role is unremunerated and candidates should anticipate spending 3-4 days per month plus attendance at Committees, Board meetings and AGM.
How to apply
To express an interest or for any further relevant information please contact Emma Fletcher – Operations Manager and Company Secretary at email@example.com at the earliest opportunity. Meetings with likely candidates will take place in February.
Closing date for applications is 28 February 2019