The Sport and Recreation Alliance believes that the power of sport and recreation can change lives and bring communities together. With our members and in partnership with the wider sector, we make the most of opportunities and tackle the areas that provide a challenge.
We do this by providing advice, support and guidance and by being the voice of the sector. Working with Government, policy makers and the media, we help grassroots sport and recreation grow and thrive. Having an active nation is important as it delivers huge benefits to society and the millions of participants, volunteers, staff and spectators.
We are in the first year of our new strategy Support. Recover. Achieve. and you can read more about it on our website.
Our Purpose, Vision, Mission and Values sit at the heart of our new strategy and provide the touchstone for everything we plan to do over the coming years.
Purpose: We believe everyone should benefit from the positive power of sport and recreation
This is the reason we exist – it is what motivates us.
Vision: We will be at the heart of a thriving sector enabling more people from all backgrounds to participate in sport and recreation
This is the difference we want to make to our members and the wider community when we follow our Purpose.
Mission: To be the go-to body for sport and recreation, providing the very best services, advice and advocacy
This is what we will do every day to make sure our Purpose delivers our Vision.
Values: We know that values are not just words – they matter.
When values are clear and aligned, people understand one another, everyone does the right things for the right reasons and this common purpose and understanding helps people build great working relationships.
Throughout the life of our new strategy, we will be guided by three simple values:
- Support – We are supportive and show care and commitment to our members and our staff.
- Relationships – We value long-lasting relationships with our members, partners and the wider sport and recreation community.
- Collaboration – We are built on a great team which collaborates with others to harness collective energy and drive change.
These values will be at the heart of everything we do and how we treat each other. They provide an essential guide to the way we will work and set the tone for our culture and identify that we, as a collective team, care about.
We are committed to high standards of governance and apply and support The Principles of Good Governance for Sport and Recreation as well as being compliant at Tier 3 with ‘A Code for Sports Governance’.
Our governance structure and policies allow us to maintain a strong board which works hard to build a sustainable organisation. Further details of our Board and framework can be found here.
Skills and Experience
This year, we are looking for Directors who have skills and experience in at least one of the following areas:
A Director with a legal background is very helpful to the Board. Although not a replacement for formal legal advice it helps to guide and inform our approach when formal legal advice is needed.
- Environmental Sustainability
Knowledge of how climate change could affect the sport and recreation sector would be invaluable over the period of our strategy.
- Policy and Parliamentary Knowledge
To help inform our policy and influence work.
- Public Health and mental wellbeing
Knowledge of area of work/sector.
And if you are excited about/can demonstrate:
- Creative and strategic thinking that challenges/refines conventional ways the sector has operated.
- Using your skills to constructively challenge group thinking and potential inhibitors to change at a national level.
- Making a clear commitment to improving diversity and equality and understanding the needs of under-represented groups in sport and recreation.
- The potential of the UK’s sport and recreation landscape to change lives for the better.
Previous Board experience is not necessary and we welcome applications from all ages and backgrounds.
For more information on the role including key responsibilities and the person specification please read through our Board Recruitment Pack.
Your Application and the 2022 Recruitment Process
Please find below details of the selection process, to assist you in completing and tailoring your application:
You should submit:
- An up-to-date CV which shows your full career history – we recommend that this is no longer than two pages.
- A supporting letter detailing how you meet which skills we are seeking – we recommend that this is no longer than two pages.
- Please complete this confidential e-monitoring and evaluation form.
- Indicate if you cannot attend the interview date.
Please send your completed application form and CV to the Company Secretary, BY EMAIL to Kate Lawrenson firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date – applications should be received by midday on Tuesday 24 May 2022.
You will receive an acknowledgement to your email, and we suggest that if you don’t receive this you should contact Kate to confirm your application has been received.
All candidates’ CVs and letters will be considered by the Nominations Committee who will then hold any interviews on Tuesday 7 June at the Alliance office in Holborn.
Members of the Nominations Committee are Andrew Moss (Alliance Chairman), Tim Jones (Alliance Senior Independent Director) and Patrick McMaster (Independent HR Consultant). There is currently a vacancy on this committee.
For more detailed information about the Alliance and a list of the current Directors, please visit our website at www.sportandrecreation.org.uk. For an informal discussion about the role of Director please contact the Chair, Andrew Moss on email@example.com or via the Company Secretary.