We are seeking applications for one voluntary position on the England Golf Boys’ Selection Committee. This role will cover the events that take place in the North of England. This role will cover the following counties: Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria, Cheshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire and the Isle of Man.
Purpose of the Role
The purpose of members of the England Golf Boys’ Selection Committee is to select individuals to compete in nominated amateur team championships and the England Boys’ Squad in accordance with the England Golf Selection Policy. They must ensure that future playing potential as well as current achievement remains a key factor in the nomination process of England Golf Coaching Squads. The Boys’ Selector will follow the England Golf Selection Policy to ensure consistency in selection of the best team possible to represent England Golf in the selected events.
The voluntary role requires a commitment based on regular communication with the Chair of the Selection Committee, fellow Selectors and attendance at tournaments (mostly in the North of England) utilising knowledge and data provided via the various support systems used to select the Boys’ Teams and Squads.
The successful person requires:
- A working knowledge of elite amateur golf;
- The ability to establish an environment where players have confidence in the selection process adopted with transparency evident in the teams selected;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including the ability to effectively liaise with players, coaches, parents and England Golf staff;
- Sound management skills and a willingness to make and be able to justify tough decisions and be accountable for those decisions;
- An enthusiastic, personable and competitive approach.
This is a voluntary role and as such will not receive any remuneration, however, expenses incurred in carrying out these duties will be reimbursed as per our expenses policy.
England Golf will also provide:
- England Golf branded kit from our sponsorship partners (dependent upon sizes and availability);
- Opportunities for training and development;
- Guidance and support from the Performance teams.
Key Attendance Dates
Contact will be required all-year round but the majority of the events take place between May – August. The Boys’ Selector will be required to attend events as agreed with the Performance Manager. Please refer to the Selection Policy for the Key Selection Dates.
England Golf Safeguarding and Protecting Children Requirements
This role has been identified as involving access to vulnerable adults and/or children and in line with England Golf policy persons undertaking this role will be required to undertake a Disclosure & Barring Service Disclosure Check and must also have attended a Safeguarding and Protecting Children course (SPC) or be willing to undertake one.
How to Apply
Please visit our website and submit your CV and covering letter (as one document) detailing why you would be suitable for the role. The closing date for applications is midnight on Friday 26 February 2021. Interviews will be via telephone conference call, scheduled for the week beginning Monday 8 March 2021.