Independent Committee Member
Sports Broadcast Monitoring Committee
Remuneration: Voluntary (reasonable expenses paid)
Location/time commitment: Flexible. One meeting per year (London) with some additional time commitment as required.
The Code of Conduct is a voluntary, public commitment by the UK’s major sports rights owners to make broadcast coverage of their events widely available to the viewing public and to reinvest a proportion of the proceeds from the sale of rights back into the long-term development of their respective sports.
Signatories to the Code agree to abide by the following principles as owners of the rights to events under their control:
- Accessibility: To use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that broadcast coverage of all major sporting events is available in the UK through free-to-air television broadcasts in live, recorded or highlights form and/or through digital and social media.
- Reinvestment: To reinvest a minimum of thirty percent of the net revenue generated from the sale of UK broadcasting rights into the long-term development of their sport.
The Sports Broadcast Monitoring Committee
Compliance with the Code is overseen by the Sports Broadcast Monitoring Committee. The role of the Committee is to scrutinise submissions made by individual signatories and to assess compliance in accordance with the Code. The Committee meets annually (usually in London) and secretariat support is provided by the Sport and Recreation Alliance.
The Committee is led by an independent Chair and comprises independent members and representatives from signatories of the Code.
Independent members will be appointed by the Chair for three years, with an option to renew for a further three years by mutual agreement.
The Sports Broadcast Monitoring Committee is committed to ensuring diversity welcomes applications for all its activities from individuals regardless of ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, social background, age or disability.
The successful candidate will have:
- Senior-level experience in at least one of the following fields: finance, marketing, sponsorship.
- The ability to create and maintain positive and productive relationships with stakeholders and to promote the Code of Conduct and the work of the Committee more widely.
- The ability to maintain objectivity, scrutinise complex information and reach reasoned conclusions.
- A proven ability to contribute effectively to discussions and group decision-making at senior committee or board level.
· Experience or knowledge of sports broadcasting and the surrounding policy, commercial and regulatory environment;
· An understanding of the current issues facing sports governing bodies and rights holders in relation to commercial income generation and investment in the long-term development of sport;
· Knowledge of accountability, monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- To scrutinise submissions made by signatories as part of the annual review of compliance with the Code
- To attend the annual SBMC compliance review meeting
- To monitor and report on signatory compliance with the Code
- To carry out confidential assessments of commercially sensitive information
- Annual reporting to DCMS and Ofcom
How to apply
Please send an expression of interest comprising a CV and covering statement (no longer than 500 words) setting out how you believe you meet the person specification.
The closing date for expressions of interest is Sunday 7 June. Expressions of interest received after this time will not be accepted.
Expressions of interest will be reviewed by a panel drawn from the current Committee and, if necessary, an interview scheduled with one or more candidates prior to the appointment decision
For more information about the Code of Conduct and the role and current membership of the Committee please visit: https://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk/policy/campaigns-initiatives/broadcasting-of-major-sporting-events-the-vol.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Max Nicholls on email@example.com
The Committee is keen to ensure diversity in its membership and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Application period closes 11pm on the 7 June