Salary: £24,000 – £26,000
The RYA’s purpose is to promote and protect safe, successful and rewarding British boating. Its communications function is overseen by a Head of Communications with each of its directorates having its own dedicated communications support. We are seeking a Communications Officer to join the Cruising, Legal & Government Affairs department.
The Cruising, Legal & Government Affairs department represents and protects the interests of RYA members and affiliates at all levels of government and provides them with specialist advice and information on cruising, regulatory, legal and environmental issues. The variety and nature of the issues covered are complex and comprehensive. They also include matters relating to diversity, equality & safeguarding and boating safety.
As the Communications Officer for the Cruising, Legal & Government Affairs department, you will be required to:
- Plan, develop and deliver a proactive PR plan to support the RYA’s public affairs programme to Government, RYA members and the wider boating public;
- Advise managers, volunteers and affiliated organisations on RYA communications policy and practices;
- Establish and manage effective relationships with the media, partner organisations, relevant interest groups and key opinion formers; and
- Act as Press Office spokesperson, responding to media enquiries on a day-to-day basis, write and distribute news releases and brief experts/spokespeople on media handling for interviews.
To succeed in the role, the following skills, knowledge and experience are essential:
- Experience in PR, media or marketing functions;
- Clear, demonstrable experience of understanding, interpreting and communicating complex issues of varying nature;
- Ability to manage and successfully handle competing priorities from different stakeholders; and
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise deadlines.
We are also looking for someone who is individually driven as well as being a team player.
Please visit our website, www.rya.org.uk/go/jobs, to view the full job description and to download an application form. Completed application forms should be returned, along with an equality monitoring form, to Lisa.Rogers@rya.org.uk Please note that we do not accept CVs in lieu of a fully completed application form.
Closing date for applications: Mid-day on Friday 13 September 2019
Interviews to be held: Tuesday 2 October 2019