As a senior executive within the organisation, to undertake lead responsibility for all income generation strategies, relationships and activity, including existing and new corporate partnerships and all forms of charitable income generation including philanthropy and public fundraising.
As part of the Executive team at the BPA, to advise the CEO on all aspects of the income generation strategy and on other more general management issues relating to the activities of the charity. To work closely with the Director of Communications to ensure a joined-up approach to partner and external messaging and campaigns.
There is a requirement to communicate extensively with the Board and senior management team.
- Create and implement an income generation strategy for the BPA that maximises all revenue streams, and delivers long term, sustainable, diverse and non-cyclical income whilst not compromising on the organisation’s athlete-centred, partnership approach and values.
- Work closely with the other members of the BPA Executive team to ensure that the Commercial strategy is integrated with other departmental strategies and the overall organisational strategy
- Lead the engagement with and management of all existing BPA corporate partnerships, activation and campaigns, throughout each cycle but with particular emphasis on delivery in the build up to and during each Summer and Winter Paralympic Games.
- Lead the acquisition of new corporate partner process including the negotiation with and contracting of new partners to the BPA
- Develop compelling additional activation opportunities that demonstrate genuine benefit to the BPA and are in line with the objectives set out in the organisation’s Strategic Plan.
- Ensure world class partnership management delivery, including engagement where appropriate with third parties such as other sporting bodies, athlete agents, consultants and contractors.
- Work with key domestic stakeholders, including the BOA, UK Sport and National Governing Bodies, and international stakeholders, including the IPC and National Paralympic Committees, to ensure coordinated approaches to corporate sponsorship that drive maximum benefit to the BPA.
- Working closely with the Head of Philanthropy create an ambitious, long term and robust Philanthropy strategy and plan which ensures that Philanthropy becomes a significant income stream for the BPA over the next five years.
- Ensure that the Philanthropy team specifically delivers a targeted and effective programme to engage High Net Worth Individuals, Charitable Trusts and Foundations, and other potential donors.
- Ensure the delivery of any benefits or stewardship activities in a timely and cost-efficient manner for Philanthropic supporters.
- Working closely with the Director of Communications ensure the creation and lead the delivery of the BPA’s fundraising strategy and programmes, including ensuring that the organisation maximises the opportunity created by its charitable status to fundraise with the public and through its corporate partners.
- Ensure that the execution of the fundraising strategy is fully compliant with the requirements of the Fundraising Regulator, GDPR and other relevant laws or codes of practice.
- Manage the Commercial team to ensure world class operational delivery of the BPA corporate, philanthropy and fundraising strategies.
- Determine structure and ensure delivery of all human resource requirements, including performance planning and management, pay review, annual leave etc
- Oversee the four-year cycle and annual budget and forecasting process for the Commercial team and the team’s regular and active contribution to the BPA Programme Plan in partnership with the Director of Finance and Corporate Services.
- Provide support and advice to the Chief Executive in delivering all organisational objectives, policy and procedures.
- Play an active role as a member of the Executive Team, participating in discussion and decisions relating to the organisation as a whole, including at Board level.
Educated to Degree Level or a similar level of related professional qualification or related professional experience
Due to its engagement with the ParalympicsGB teams at both the Summer and Winter Games, an assessment process may be undertaken to determine whether or not the post-holder requires a DBS Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) List check.
Knowledge and Skills
- Significant recent senior management experience in a similar role;
- Significant experience in the field of income generation gained from either a rights holding organisation, a sports sponsorship agency, charity or a sponsor;
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial new business generation strategies and techniques;
- A high level of commercial awareness and the ability to negotiate and deliver complex partnership agreements;
- A detailed understanding of the UK commercial marketplace;
- Experience of setting, managing and reporting against agreed income generation targets and organisational budgets;
- Ability to lead, manage and develop multi-skilled teams;
- Evidence of working successfully within a senior management team and to Board level.
- Experience of building strong client/stakeholder relationships
- Strategic Planning: The ability to devise, plan and execute work strategies that will set out how the organisation will deliver a particular commercial activity across the medium to long term term, taking into account all relevant factors including the wider vision and mission of the organisation, the available resources and the relationships required to deliver.
- Financial Acumen: The ability to set, manage and report against budgets for each of the areas for which the role is responsible.
- Organisational Skills: The ability to plan, organise, prioritise and execute work programmes across the scope of the role’s responsibilities, working to tight deadlines, to ensure that the organisation’s key objectives are met.
- Experience of working in and a knowledge of philanthropy and fundraising strategies and programmes;
- An understanding of the BPA, its function and role and the environment in which it operates;
- An understanding of the national and international sports marketing and commercial landscape;
- A knowledge of, and passion for, sport.
Behavioural Competencies and Qualities
- Communication: The ability to express messages and impart information clearly, concisely and convincingly to a wide variety of audiences and through a variety of mechanisms, including both oral and written communication. The ability to listen and appreciate another person or organisation’s point of view and respond effectively to that.
- Team leadership: The ability clearly to express a vision for delivery and to achieve that focus by delivering from the front, setting the standards for delivery and behaviours expected of others. The ability to demonstrate exceptional inter-personal and team working skills, and to motivate, enthuse and lead others.
- Delegation: The ability to set clear direction, parameters and metrics for the work of others and to support, motivate and lead them to achieve successful outcomes.
- Positive mindset and Creativity: The ability to bring a positive approach to problem solving. The ability to understand a problem or issue and the factors that influence it, and consider constructive, inventive ways in which a solution can be found and a positive work outcome achieved for the organisation. The desire constantly to consider ways in which existing practices could be done better and more efficiently.