Treasurer & Company Secretary (Non-Executive Director)
Salary: Expenses only
Sports Officials UK (“SOUK”) is the recognised umbrella organisation which supports the education and development of sports officials across all sports. This includes referees, umpires, judges, timekeepers and the entire supporting volunteer workforce. Our mission is to promote best practise through education and development and offer support and advice for officials at all levels and to the NGB’s of the various sports.
There is an opening to join SOUK as a Treasurer & Company Secretary. This is a non-executive director position carrying a vote on the board of SOUK. This is a voluntary role, however any reasonable out of pocket-expenses will be met in accordance with the expenses provisions in SOUK’s articles.
• Report to and liaise with Board members.
• Organise and prepare agendas and papers for board meetings, committees and the annual general meetings (“AGM”).
• Take minutes, draft resolutions, and lodge required forms and annual returns with Companies House.
• Follow-up on actions from meetings.
• Oversee policies, making sure they are kept up to date and referred to the Board for approval.
• Deal with correspondence, collate information and write reports, ensuring decisions made are communicated to the relevant company stakeholders.
• Contribute to meeting discussions as and when required.
• Oversee and present accounts and financial statements.
• Ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
• Ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
• Be the first point of contact for the Company with the bank.
• Be a signatory for the Company’s bank accounts.
• Ensure all expenses claims are correctly submitted and subsequently paid.
1. Act as a Director of SOUK (‘the Company’) in the best interests of the Company with honesty and good faith towards its members, employees, partners, funding agencies, sponsors and of the communities within which the Company operates.
2. Use such personal and professional skills together with such contacts, experience and judgement as they may possess with integrity and independence to optimise both the short and long term performance of the Company and in particular the areas of her/his own portfolio of responsibility.
3. Play a full part in enabling the Board to arrive at balanced and objective decisions in the performance of its agreed role and functions.
4. Ensure the objectives of the Company, as agreed by the Board, are fully, promptly and properly carried out.
5. Ensure compliance with all obligations as a Director required by law, the Company's Articles of Association, and decisions of the Board taken in General Meetings.
6. Disclose immediately any personal interest in any activity of the Company and take no further part in any Board discussion of the matter.
Qualities and Skills Desired
1. Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a company director.
2. Sound working knowledge of the sport sector.
3. Experience of basic bookkeeping.
4. Ability to support, challenge and manage a relationship with the other Directors.
5. Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up.
6. Act with integrity at all times.
7. Commitment to the organisation and to learn about the unique challenges of officiating.
8. Be dynamic, enthusiastic and proactive.
9. Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort;
10. Willingness to be available to fellow directors for advice and enquiries on an ad-hoc basis.
How to apply
Please send an up-to-date CV and no more than 500 words as to how you satisfy the criteria, to current SOUK non-executive director Kevin Carpenter (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday 15 August 2019.