Non-Executive Director (NED) - Commercial and Financial
Salary: Remunerated with travel expenses reimbursed
Location: UK (Head Office – Alexander Stadium, Birmingham)
• To act as a member of the Board of Directors, offering guidance, support, expertise and an objective perspective to the Executive on the key matters of strategy, operational management, organisational structure and development, commercial and financial affairs, and risk management.
• To play a key part in the decision-making process on strategic and major operational issues.
• To represent UKA on the recruitment panels for Chair, CEO and NEDs and other key roles within the sport as required.
• To Chair or be a member of key Board Sub-Committees as required e.g. Performance Oversight Committee, Audit Committee and HR Remuneration Committee.
• To act as an unbiased, objective and impartial member of the Board, ensuring that all decisions taken are in the best long term interests of UKA, its stakeholders and employees.
• To offer advice and guidance in a consultative capacity to the Chief Executive and other Executive Directors and Senior Managers as required.
• To assist in the development of the organisation’s strategy, ensuring this is implemented via effective policies and plans, whilst ensuring effective risk management and control processes are in place.
• To ensure that the organisation is run in a transparent and equitable manner.
• To ensure that the Board operates in line with accepted good practice in terms of Corporate Governance.
• To act in accordance with the Board of Directors’ Code of Conduct at all times.
• To attend 8-10 formal Board meetings a year, as well as other ad hoc meetings and to sit on the Audit Committee.
• To act as a mentor for the executive Board members, in so far as this does not compromise the independence of the NED.
• To ensure that the organisation has a robust, workable and viable operational strategy, including detailed financial plans.
• To monitor the operational performance of the organisation and the executive management.
• Non-Executive Directors.
• Executive Directors.
• Senior Managers.
• UK Members Council.
• UKA Key Stakeholders/Partners.
Knowledge and Skills
Experience: (Essential experience required as a minimum to perform the job effectively)
• Proven commercial experience in business, financial management and risk assurance.
• A demonstrable passion for sport.
• Evidence of success in your chosen career.
• Proven Advisory/Committee experience at a senior level and/or senior leadership experience at board level.
• Good all round business acumen with proven experience, skills and knowledge of the requirements to contribute to a successful business.
• Experience in successfully setting and implementing strategy or supporting the delivery of such.
Specific Skills: (Essential specific skills required as a minimum to perform the job effectively)
• Relevant and recent financial expertise sufficient to be a credible member of the Audit Committee.
• Excellent communication, relationship and networking skills, able to represent UKA to all our stakeholders.
• Good knowledge of Corporate Governance and Board responsibilities, accustomed to a high level of accountability.
How to apply
To access the full candidate brief for these exciting opportunities and how to submit your application, please visit our website www.britishathletics.org.uk and click ‘UK Athletics’, then go to the ‘Employment’section under ‘Governance’.
Closing date for applications is Thursday 12 September 2019.
Provisional date for interviews is Wednesday 2 October 2019.
UKA encourages job applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates irrespective of theirgender, ethnicity, religion, belief or sexual orientation.