Chair and Independent Board Directors
Salary: Expenses Paid
Location: Meetings are held at the BaseballSoftballUK Office in London (Borough, SE1 4YB) and arrangements are made for those only able to join by phone.
BaseballSoftballUK is seeking Independent Directors for its Board, including the position of Chair. These are voluntary positions with the remit to help form and influence the strategic direction of the organisation.
We would particularly encourage applications from women and ethnic minorities.
Skills and experience
As a growing sports development business with a need to develop our external profile, BaseballSoftballUK would be keen to hear from anyone interested in the role who has skills that would be valuable in a Board environment. However, skills and/or experience in one or more of the areas below would be helpful:
- Audit and accounting
- Legal / Contracts
- Campaigning / Lobbying
- Government Affairs
- Influencing (partners, etc)
- Commercial / Income Generation / Fundraising
- Media / PR
- Talented Athlete Development
In addition, Chair leadership skills are required.
BaseballSoftballUK is the development agency for baseball and softball in the UK. Our two Members are the British Baseball and Softball Federations. Our vision is for our sports to be “played in every park”. Our key areas of work are growing the number of adults and young people playing regularly in teams and improving the sporting experience for those people who participate in our sports. BaseballSoftballUK is in receipt of Lottery and exchequer funding from both Sport England and UK Sport.
BaseballSoftballUK is a company limited by guarantee. The company has been incorporated since 2007. Our Board is made up of made up of up to 12 people, selected for their skills and ability to lead the organisation. Four of these directors are recruited from the Members and the others are either Independent Non-Executive Directors (including the Chair) or Ex-Officio Directors.
The Board meets formally four to six times each year, mostly during the early midweek evening, but occasionally on the weekends. The Board has several sub-committees that meet at least quarterly, including the Finance Committee, the Governance Committee andthe Development and Commercial Committee.. Board Directors, are asked to join at least one subcommittee.
Directors can serve up to three two-year terms. Time commitment is approximately two days per month (evenings and weekends). This includes attendance at Board meetings and participation in at least one of the Board sub-committees. Meetings are held at the BaseballSoftballUK Office in London (Borough, SE1 4YB) and arrangements are made for those only able to join by phone. Expenses will be paid in accordance with BaseballSoftballUK’s expense policy.
The duties of a Director are:
- To ensure that BaseballSoftballUKcomplies with its Articles of Association, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that BaseballSoftballUKpursues its objects as defined in its Articles of Association.
- To ensure that BaseballSoftballUKapplies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects.
- To contribute actively to the role of Board Director in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of BaseballSoftballUK.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of BaseballSoftballUK.
- To ensure the financial stability of BaseballSoftballUK.
- To protect and manage the property of BaseballSoftballUK and to ensure the proper investment of its funds.
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor their performance.
In addition to the above statutory duties, each Director should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising Board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues and providing advice and guidance on new initiatives or on other issues in which the Director has special expertise.
- A high level of objectivity and independent judgement.
- A high level of integrity and probity.
- The ability to think and act strategically.
- An understanding of financial management.
- An ability to work in partnership.
- A commitment to equity and equal opportunities.
- The ability to communicate concisely and effectively.
How to apply
Complete the on-line application form here: https://bsuk.wufoo.com/forms/m1how99l1t9lsbo/
For an informal discussion, please contact John Boyd on 020 7453 7055.
BaseballSoftballUK is recruiting on a rolling basis, with suitable candidates being interviewed as applications are received. It is anticipated that the recruitment of new Directors will run through September 2019, dependent on appointments.
Closing date for applications is 30 September 2019 (or sooner, dependent on appointments)