The post-holder will oversee the day-to-day operations of the centre, providing a reference point regarding the management of daily activities for staff and customers, while ensuring that health & safety procedures are followed, and customer service standards are high. The post-holder will be responsible for the line management of the front of house teams - Duty Managers & Reception – and will work closely with the Shop, Café and Courses Managers to support the ongoing effective operation of their respective functions. A primary function of the role is to drive customer service standards while supporting the front-line staff in the centre working in their specialist roles.
Specific Duties: Customer Service Management
• Ensure excellent customer service delivery throughout the front-line functions in cooperation with the Department Managers, driving increases in standards from Reception and the Duty Manager teams.
• Act as a point of contact for both staff and customers concerning the front-line functions during the normal opening hours of the centre.
• Ensure that the centre is fit for operation in respect of amenities and customer facilities.
• Provide leadership and direction to staff in excellent customer service, sustainable practice and appropriate H&S practice.
• Respond promptly to customer feedback and complaints (or ensure that this is done by relevant departmental manager)
• Log and analyse customer complaints with a view to improving service across all areas of the organisation
• Lead continual improvement in service provision with a view to maintaining our position at the forefront of the industry.
Health and Safety Management
• Ensure that the centre is safe for staff and customers on a day to day basis through adherence to our health and safety policies and procedures.
• Manage, update and continually review our entry procedures and relevant compliance with industry and H&S best practice..
• Ensure all information regarding entry processes, registration forms etc. held on the website is current and accurate.
• Review and update of all risk assessments and H&S policies relevant to the role annually and when required.
• Improve the H&S standards in the centre through working with all departments and senior management to remain at the forefront of our industry.
• Ensure that the centre is cleaned according to appropriate standards (in collaboration with
• Manage first aid provision requirement (including ensuring compliance with legislative
requirements, organising training for staff, upkeep of AED etc)
• Manage first aid supplies
• Complete monthly accident and health and safety report
• Complete annual accident report analysis
• Collate poor practice data and complete annual report
• Work regular Duty Manager shifts including weekend and evenings.
Line Management (Duty Managers & Reception)
• Ensure staff are appropriately trained and carry out their roles according to their job descriptions
and H&S legislation.
• Ensure daily record keeping by staff is efficient, accurate and in accordance with our information
• Ensure staff adherence to the Castle Sustainability Policy.
• Roster all staff shifts and manage staff absences and holidays.
• Ensure all staff complete their timesheets accurately and in a timely manner.
• Develop staff performance standards.
• Conduct ongoing, regular performance management of team, through informal and formal
processes as required.
• Conduct annual staff appraisals of team with support from HR.
• Conduct all required recruitment, training and onboarding of new team members with support
• Provide line management support to front-line staff when appropriate/required (including line
management support to shop and café staff when required in lieu of the department manager).
• Ensure ongoing development of team including provision of regular team meetings/training
workshops and annual team building/development days.
• Contribute to annual price review and implement new prices as per senior management
• Ensure products are marketed to the highest possible standards in collaboration with the courses
and bookings manager and the marketing coordinator.
• Contribute to the Castle website & social media content through blogs/posts.
• Ensure that the safe ledger and cash counts are accurate and up to date, including ensuring that
corrections are made immediately, and errors notified.
• Work to budget and input into department budget creation.
• Participate in strategic and business planning processes with the Board of Directors and
Management Team when required.
• Formulate business strategy for the development of the Duty Manager and reception teams and
• Work with the management team on creating and implementing sustainability targets and
helping the company to achieve its sustainability goals.
• Provide written monthly reports to the CEO on relevant areas of centre operations.
• Provide monthly H&S and accident reports.
• Provide annual H&S and accident report.
• Provide an annual operations report.
This job description reflects some of the present requirements of the post (i.e. it is not exhaustive), and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description
How to apply
Their cover letter should answer the three questions and should be no longer than 2 sides of A4.
- How does your experience relate to this role, addressing points in the Job description?
- What are you most proud of and why?
- What challenges and opportunities do you foresee in the leisure industry, particularly Climbing, in the near future?
The closing date for applications is 9 August 2019
Interviews to be held on 22 or 23 August 2019