Active Essex are recruiting for a Chair for the Active Essex Board.
The Active Essex Chair will lead the Board and will have the passion and enthusiasm to play a major role in helping to change 1 million lives to get Essex Active. This will result in contributing to improving the physical and mental health & wellbeing of the residents of Essex.
Role of the Chair:
- To define the overall direction of the work of Active Essex, setting targets and agreeing a business plan with partners.
- To provide strategic leadership to the Board, chairing its regular meetings and bringing together a diverse range of interests and partners to work together on a common agenda.
- To represent the Active Essex Board at a range of stakeholder and partnership meetings, working with the Director to determine requirements.
The Main Responsibilities of the Chair include:
- Setting the agenda – The agenda should take full account of the issues and the concerns of all board members. Agendas should be forward looking and concentrate on strategy and developing the partnership, rather than focusing on management issues.
- Attending Strategic meetings and events, working in conjunction with the Director on this.
- Ensuring that board members receive accurate, timely and clear information – to enable the board to make sound decisions, monitor effectively and provide advice to promote the success of the partnership.
- Managing board meetings – to ensure that sufficient time is allowed for discussion of issues, and where appropriate, arranging informal meetings beforehand to enable thorough preparation for the board discussion. It is particularly important that board members have sufficient time to consider critical issues and are not faced with unrealistic deadlines for decision making.
- Accountability – The Chair is responsible for the delegated budget and core funding for the partnership.
- Supporting the Active Essex Director and acting as a critical friend in the development and operation of both the Board and high-level strategic direction required for day to day work of the executive team.
- Member Development – taking the lead in inducting and developing individual board members, with a view to enhancing the board’s overall effectiveness as a team.
- Member Engagement and Mobilisation – Encouraging active engagement by all members of the board. Setting tasks for members to assist in the achievement of the board’s goals.
- Performance Assessment – Providing an assessment of performance of individual board members on request, when they are being considered for reappointment or for appointment to the board of another public body.
- Ensuring Board decisions are acted upon;
- Acting as spokesperson and representing the partnership at appropriate events.
- Work closely with the SIBM (Vice – chair) in order to discharge efficiently the responsibilities of the chair’s role and the Board.
- The SIBM will conduct a review of Chairs performance, in line with the Board ToR.
Download the full Chair Recruitment Pack.
How to apply
To apply please forward all submissions via email to: Jason.Fergus@activeessex.org.
Closing date for applications is 24 June 2019