Salary: Annual Honorarium plus expenses
Location: East of England
Term of Office: Four-year term from AGM (29 June, 2019)
Hours: As required
Time commitment: As required, but at least 30 days per annum
An exciting opportunity has become available following changes introduced in 2017 in accordance with the Code for Sports Governance. The Chairman is now an appointed position, having previously been elected by the membership. Table Tennis England is going through another period of change as it implements the recommendations from the Independent Review Panel governance review in 2018.
The Chairman will be integral in leading the Board; aligning the membership, the governance changes and the strategy of table tennis in England.
Duties and responsibilities
- To lead the Board in the strategic direction of Table Tennis England.
- To ensure the Board receives accurate, timely and clear information to enable it to fulfil its function.
- To have a clear understanding of stakeholder engagement, building strong relationships to further enhance Table Tennis England’s standing domestically and internationally.
- To ensure effective communication with members regarding the strategic direction of Table Tennis England. To ensure all the agreed policies and procedures are in place and to ensure the Board acts within the law, the Code for Sports Governance and in the best interests of Table Tennis England and its members.
- To lead the Board, ensuring skill levels are appropriate for the needs of the organisation in the delivery of the organisational strategy, and proactively undertaking succession planning.
- To work closely with the Chief Executive and Senior Leadership Team (SLT) monitoring the day to day running and providing support and advice whilst respecting the SLT executive responsibilities. To chair all relevant meetings, including the AGM, in an open, fair and constructive manner.
- To ensure the Board proactively assesses and improves its own performance.
- To drive the continuous development and transformation of Table Tennis England.
- To represent Table Tennis England domestically (e.g. with Sport England, UK Sport and the British Olympic Association) and internationally (e.g. with the ITTF and ETTU) at relevant events in agreement with the CEO.
- Other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time commensurate with the business of Table Tennis England.
- Genuine interest in table tennis, its performance, participation, membership and volunteers.
- Experience of chairing an organisation, including setting strategic direction, managing a CEO (or equivalent) and solid financial acumen
- Sound knowledge of corporate governance including the Code for Sports Governance Excellent inter personal skills to engage the Board, staff, volunteer structure and membership
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral Demonstrate a positive approach to equal opportunities, diversity and inclusion Willing to go the extra mile and be available whenever the role requires it
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of table tennis and its governance both domestically and internationally.
- Understanding and experience of other bodies in the sports landscape including UK Sport, Sport England and the British Olympic Association.
How to apply
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 27 April 2019