Chair Of The Board
Salary: Expenses Paid
Location: Welsh Athletics' head office is located at the Cardiff International Sports Campus with most meetings held in Cardiff.
Welsh Athletics is seeking an enthusiastic and forward-thinking Chair to lead its Board. We are looking for an experienced individual with strong critical thinking skills who is capable of applying independent judgment to work effectively with other non-executive directors.
Welsh Athletics' vision is to create a world class athletics development programme and to grow athletics to be the biggest sport in Wales through participation and opportunity.
We are committed to becoming the sector-leading National Governing Body of sport in Wales and truly live our values of trusted, respected, ambitious and of excellence, fun and together.
This is a voluntary role with all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses fully reimbursed.
Time commitment 3-4 days per month approximately, typically five Board meetings per year and board members may be asked to lead working groups and represent the organisation at other relevant meetings and events.
Term of office The Chair will be appointed for a three-year term. (Maximum of 2 terms permitted)
Welsh Athletics is a leading Sports governing body with an ambitious vision for modernising and developing our sport. We believe we can both inspire a generation of future stars and motivate a population to run their way to a healthier lifestyle.
If you would like to be at the forefront of delivering this for Wales, this is the role for you.
- To lead the Board in promoting and directing Welsh Athletics (WA) to meet its primary objectives, including setting the organisation's vision, values and strategic direction.
- Working with the Board, to ensure the organisational structure and capability, including the resources available, are appropriate for implementing the strategy.
- To manage, support and act as a trusted adviser to the Chief Executive, liaising closely and holding the Chief Executive to account for the achievement of agreed plans.
- To ensure the Board maintains careful oversight of any risk and / or financial standing of the organisation.
- To 'lead from the front' in terms of demonstrating the highest standards of integrity at all times. Ensure the Board and staff aspire to best practices in all areas of corporate and sport governance.
- To ensure that decision-making is democratic, and everyone can make a full contribution in meetings; enable the Board to function as a team.
- To ensure the effectiveness of the Board in securing the long-term success of the organisation and the sport of athletics across Wales and on the world stage.
- To be an ambassador for the sport of athletics and to assist senior staff in maintaining relationships with key stakeholders and funders.
- Champion the organisation's commitment to increasing diversity amongst participants in our sport and across our volunteer, staff and governance structures.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of effective leadership in an organisation with multiple stakeholders. They will demonstrate credibility and influence to lead the organisation and represent athletics at the highest levels. An interest in sport and athletics is desirable.
1 Commitment to Welsh Athletics, its values, goals and ethics
2 Understanding of the environment
3 Understanding of good corporate governance
4 Highly developed communication skills
5 Values-based behaviour
6 Strong analytical skills
Ability to analyse and assess information to make effective decisions.
We are committed to treating Welsh and English language on the basis of equality, so far as we are reasonably able to do so and welcome applications in either language.
Welsh Athletics is committed to equality of opportunity and the formation of a balanced, inclusive and skilled board. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or beliefs. Where possible we will always make reasonable adjustments for accessibility to anyone who requires it.
How to apply
For more information regarding this role please contact Jan Hughes at Acorn Executive Search,Jan.Hughes@acornpeople.com
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.
Closing dates for applications: Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019
Interviews in the week commencing Monday 19 January 2019