Events & Facilities Manager
Salary: £28,071 - £34,057 including London Weighting
Outline of the role
A member of the Commercial department, supporting the Head of Commercial, you will combine strong event management experience to inform and deliver against BSUK’s commercial strategy to generate additional revenues and reduce reliance on Sport England funding. As an experienced event manager, you’ll deliver commercially focused events that generate additional revenues. You’ll understand marketing and promotion techniques, bring fresh ideas and have the organisational skills required so as to not leave anything about an event to chance, but also to maximise every opportunity. In particular, you’ll directly manage Farnham Park, the UK’s only baseball and softball facility and our very own ‘field of dreams’, ensuring the operation runs smoothly and events, our and those of our customers, are delivered seamlessly. You will work closely with the Commercial, Development and Operations teams, and Federation members, to deliver against our overall strategy. Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and the postholder may be required to undertake other duties that complement the responsibilities described below.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Create an annual events strategy nationally and at Farnham Park to deliver high quality events which attract new and existing players, meet attendance targets, generate engaging content and also generate incremental revenue, or operate on a cost neutral basis.
2. Responsible for the management and brief-to-delivery of BSUK events working to agreed budgets and timescales, working with venues and suppliers as needed, negotiating prices, publicising events and ensuring the events run smoothly.
3. Generate content covering pre/during/post-event promotion including on and offline coverage and imagery; arrange webstreaming for live events with the Content Marketing Executive; work with third parties on programmes, graphics, artwork, adverts, merchandising, giveaways and banners.
4. Manage BSUK’s Indoor Softball leagues over Winter.
5. Provide support to Development Managers on the delivery of BSUK’s participation events, such as Hit the Pitch corporate softball days.
6. Recruit and oversee the activities of event support staff, which may include activators and volunteers.
7. Provide support to external events hosted by key stakeholders including Federation members, independent event organisers and Major League Baseball.
8. Create fundraising events in the Winter ‘off season’ to raise the profile of baseball, softball, BSUK and our programmes.
1. Manage our Farnham Park sports facility in Buckinghamshire, BSUK’s national facility. The facility, its smooth day-to-day running, the relationship between BSUK and the extended team at Farnham Park and Home Plate, and our landlord are critical to BSUK’s success.
2. Responsibility includes: a. P&L of the venue and day-to-day budget management b. Setting the pricing structure, customer proposition and booking terms & conditions c. Website content creation and updating d. Managing staffing and rosters e. Occasional grounds work f. Managing the relationship with our landlord, South Bucks District Council
3. Manage the relationship with Home Plate Bar and Kitchen, our clubhouse at Farnham Park operating under a franchise agreement, to ensure the concession is run efficiently, financial reporting commitments are met and that all opportunities are maximised.
4. Responsible for managing the field booking process for Farnham Park including responding to booking enquiries, updating the booking calendar and confirming additional requirements with external suppliers such as portaloos, catering and grass fields. Where grass fields are being used, liaising with other clubs at Farnham Park to confirm booking and requirements for these.
5. Ensure the baseball and softball fields are maintained to agreed standards, liaising regularly with the ground staff and through regular site visits.
6. Ensure processes are reviewed, established, communicated and clearly understood by all by regular site visits, meetings and using Trello, our workflow tool.
7. Work with the Finance & Governance Officer to ensure invoices for Farnham Park bookings are raised and payment received in line with current booking terms and conditions. During the outdoor playing season spanning April-October, the role will be based from the BSUK office at Farnham Park, Buckinghamshire, along with weekend work when events are held. The rest of the year, the role will be based at BSUK’s London office. Due to the location of Farnham Park, it is preferable that you have the ability to drive there.
• A minimum of five years’ event management experience from brief-to-delivery.
• Experience of making use of a broad range of marketing, communications and content techniques to deliver events.
• Experience using a website content management system (CMS).
• Experience and confidence with using social media platforms for owned and paid-for activity.
• Experience of having worked well as a team player with first class communications skills.
• Budget management experience.
• Line management of a small team.
• Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and demonstrate how you’ve developed relationships with teams, suppliers and stakeholders.
Skills & Abilities
• A flexible nature due to the requirement to work on weekends and evenings – for which time in lieu/flexible working is provided – and the split office location.
• A ‘can do’ attitude to getting the job done.
• The ability to manage suppliers, contractors and staff, both paid and voluntary.
• Excellent organisation skills and the ability to multi-task.
• Good communication and people skills.
• A creative approach to problem-solving.
• A high level of attention to detail.
• The ability to work autonomously and always meet tight deadlines.
• Confidence learning to work with new technologies such as a website content management system (CMS) and a customer relationship management platform (CMS).
• An interest in baseball/softball is preferred but playing experience is not essential.
How to apply
For more information and how to apply, please click here.
Closing date for applications is 2 January 2019