Salary: Voluntary plus expenses
British Cycling is the internationally recognised governing body for cycling in Great Britain. British Cycling has enjoyed unparalleled success at elite level over recent years as well as inspired a significant increase in overall participation. It is committed in its ambition to become the world’s leading NGB, driven by the creation of a “one BC culture” where people are on a par with world class performance.
British Cycling receives funding from both Sport England and UK Sport with additional revenue generated through membership and a range of commercial partnerships with HSBC UK as the lead partner for the next 8 years.
As the formal leader of British Cycling the Independent Chair will provide leadership to the organisation to enable it to fulfil all responsibilities for the overall governance, strategic direction and delivery of the sport. Principal accountabilities of the role will include but not be limited to:
· To oversee the strategic direction and function of British Cycling.
· To provide effective leadership and management of the British Cycling Board and CEO to achieve the highest possible performance to deliver organisational objectives and standards of governance.
· In conjunction with the Board and CEO, embrace responsibility for setting, both short and long term goals and strategies for the executive to act upon
· Represent the Board in negotiations and dialogue with key partners and stakeholders.
· Lead the review of the performance of the Chief Executive Officer.
· To make keynote statements on behalf of British Cycling working in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer.
· Significant Board level experience within a large complex organisation and proven track record of strong governance, supporting growth and organisational change.
· Strategic expertise, outstanding vision and excellent judgement to provide clarity of direction and enable the Board to fulfil the overall governance of the organisation.
· In depth experience of working effectively in partnership with Non – Executive Directors and/or trustees.
· Outstanding communication and influencing skills supported by strong political awareness to command confidence from key stakeholders including Government, sports federations, sponsors and the membership of the sport.
· Personal integrity and commitment to openness, inclusiveness and high standards.
· Strong commitment to equality, diversity and safeguarding.
· Strategic leadership and development of public/private sector growth initiatives would be advantageous.
· An understanding of the sporting landscape in the UK is preferable but not necessarily obtained through working in the industry.
· Independence of the Chair requires that the person appointed has held no involvement above Club level with any cycling organisation or administration and should have no financial interest in cycling or cycling related activities or organisations.
· Directors are required to provide personal information necessary for registration as a Director of The British Cycling Federation Ltd with Companies House.
· Time commitment will be circa 1 day per week and a flexible approach will be required.
· The Board normally meet six times a year at the HSBC National Cycling Centre in Manchester.
· The appointment will be for an initial period of 3 years.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to our retained Consultant, Kit Taylor at email@example.com
Closing date for applications is Friday 15 September 2017