Our Governance Training Programme will offer you expert guidance and training around The Principles of Good Governance for Sport and Recreation and has been developed by the in-house Alliance Governance team for our members and specifically for the sector.
The programme will use knowledge within the sector and will also look to experts from the corporate world to provide examples and guidance. The workshops and webinars will give you the tools and support you need to implement change within your organisation and to take the important next steps on your journey towards achieving a gold standard of governance.
There are a variety of ways you can make sure you are part of the programme. There will be a range of workshops, such as Director Training, webinars and podcasts. All which will get you thinking about your own organisation's practices.
Interested in getting a gold medal in governance? Check out the Governance Training Programme:
Board Effectiveness (Workshop) - 22 November 2018
This interactive workshop will examine what makes a board effective and how you can apply best practices and behaviours to improve the performance of your board. It will look at both the board as a whole and the role of individual directors in producing an effective board.
The workshop will cover:
- The key governing documents for a board;
- Improving your board recruitment, induction and development processes;
- Leadership which embeds values, cultures and behaviours within your organisation;
- Director competencies – getting the best team in place;
- Case studies of good (and bad) boards;
- Principle four and three of The Principles of Good Governance for Sport and Recreation - How boards are structured and how they change and Roles and relationships in the boardroom.
100% of those who attended last year’s Board Effectiveness Workshop said they were satisfied with the workshop – therefore we have decided to run the workshop again, and based upon their feedback we have extended the workshop to a full day. This will allow more time for you to explore and discuss this topic and exchange examples of where things have worked well and where they haven’t.
The workshop is aimed at people operating at or around board level and those in roles which support boards - CEOs, chairs, newly appointed and experienced board directors, and company secretaries.
Evaluating your board (Webinar) - 5 December 2018
The performance of everyone else in the organisation is evaluated, so why not the board? Best practice shows that if the board want to be effective, they need to undertake a regular and robust evaluation of its performance.
It is not easy to evaluate your own board and determine the best approach – which is why we have created this webinar to support you in implementing board evaluations.
This webinar will cover:
- The benefits of board evaluation;
- Who should evaluate the board;
- How, who and what to evaluate
- How will evaluations contribute to the overall governance of the organisation.
This webinar is for board committees and individual board directors who are looking to benchmark their governance processes against best practice and identify where they can make improvements.
Building future leaders: recruitment practices and succession planning (Workshop)- 21 February 2019
Objective, balanced and skilled boards are core to implementing the Principles of Good Governance, but how do we achieve this and make sure it’s sustainable? This workshop looks at how you identify and develop the talent you need to build a great board, and how you can make plans to preserve the right level of skills and experience as existing board members reach their term limits.
Rob Tate, Alliance Governance Manager, will lead this half day workshop covering answers to the following questions:
- Why is it so important to recruit a balanced, inclusive and skilled board?
- What steps can you take to develop a pathway of future leaders in your sport?
- How do you successfully attract independent directors who have the skills your organisation needs?
- Who is responsible for managing board recruitment and succession planning, and how can they embed good practice in their organisation?
Director Training (Workshop)- 12 March 2019
This workshop will equip you with the skillset to become ‘board ready’ as a non-executive director (NED).
This training will look to identify how you can effectively apply principles of good governance to make sure you are fulfilling your responsibilities as a board member.
This course will cover:
- The role of a NED - understanding vs expectations;
- Corporate governance - an update and review of the governance landscape in the UK;
- A NED's duties and responsibilities and how you can apply principles of good governance to your board;
- The role of the chair
- Director attributes - to make sure you have a balanced board;
- Key strategic tools - what NED's need and how to use them;
- Stakeholder relations and how to maintain good communications;
- Strategic risk management.
The training will benefit both newly appointed directors and aspiring directors, and will also provide a useful professional development opportunity for more experienced NED’s looking to refresh their knowledge.