This is a refresher course for Chairs – either experienced within, or new to, the sector – who are looking to improve their understanding of the role, and of their own performance. The training will be discussion-led and interactive – its key features will help delegates:
- Hone chair competences critical for leading meetings
- Appreciate how the role of the Chair is different from that of the role of the director
- Help the Chair improve overall board, committee and meeting effectiveness
- Understand the Chair behaviours to display in meetings which are key to delivering effective group dynamics and high-quality decision-making
- Facilitate effective interactions between board members
- Maximise individual member performance
- Deal with difficult situations, and the unique kind of challenges a sports sector chair may face.
The workshop will cover:
- The context within which boards operate
- A framework for decision-making
- The role of the Chair
- Essential components of a Chair’s role
- What makes a good Chair
- What gets in the way of a good meeting
- Appropriate meeting behaviours
- Meeting preparation – the bigger picture
If you would like to find out about how to become a Sport and Recreation Alliance Member and save over £70 on the cost of attending our Effective Chairing Skills workshop please contact us.
Value Alpha Limited
Seamus runs his own governance advisory business – Value Alpha Limited – working with boards and directors around the world. His particular focus is on board and director effectiveness, strategy and risk. He also runs a Leadership Development Programme for company secretaries.
Seamus works extensively with the sports sector. Previous clients have included organisations such as; GreaterSport, CSP Network, International Netball Federation, Rugby Football League and many more. He works closely alongside the SRA, delivering training in various aspects of governance.