Music licensing

There are two separate fees that are generally required when a sound recording is played in public. There is a copyright in the actual sound recording, for which a licence fee from the Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) is needed. These fees are then distributed to record companies and performers.

There is a separate copyright in the musical and lyrical composition for which a licence from the Performing Rights Society (PRS) is needed. These fees are then distributed, in the main, to composers and publishers.

To receive the Sport and Recreation Alliance’s free daily sports news summary, a round-up of the day’s most interesting and informative news articles on sport and recreation, including links to original sources, email