The Sunday Times Sportswomen of the Year Awards 2012
Now in their 25th year, the Sportswomen of the Year Awards are among the most influential in the sporting calendar and the event is supported by the Sport and Recreation Alliance, UK Sport, Sport England and the Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation (WSFF).
Awards in the following categories are being recognised at the 2012 event:
- The Sunday Times Sportswoman of the Year: The ultimate accolade for your favourite sportswoman this year
- Olympian of the Year: The outstanding figure at the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Young Olympian of the Year: The outstanding figure, 21 years of age or younger, at the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Paralympian of the Year: The outstanding figure at the London 2012 Paralympic Games
- Young Paralympian of the Year: UK Sport award for the outstanding figure, 21 years of age or younger, at the London2012 Paralympic Games
- Team of the Year: Sport and Recreation Alliance award celebrating the achievements of Britain’s successful collective efforts
- Coach of the Year: Acknowledging the coaches who, often unpaid and unheralded, have worked tirelessly to nurture the talents of our female athletes
- Community Award: Sport England award for individuals who have actively engaged with different groups of women within their community through sport
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Recognising a lifetime of sporting success
- The Helen Rollason Award for Inspiration: Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation award recognising inspirational endeavour in honour of the late BBC sports presenter Helen Rollason
A panel consisted of representatives from right across sport and included Sally Barker (Sport and Recreation Alliance), Amanda Bennett (UK Sport), Sue Tiballs (Women's Sport and Fitness Foundation), Tanya Joseph (Sport England), Jill Douglas (BBC), Eleanor Oldroyd (BBC) and Craig Hunter (Paralympics GB) had the tough choice of picking the winners in this special summer of sport.
The awards are being held in an evening ceremony in London on 8 November.
Please check back for the announcement of the winners on the 9 November 2012.
To receive the Sport and Recreation Alliance’s free daily sports news summary, a round-up of the day’s most interesting and informative news articles on sport and recreation, including links to original sources, email email@example.com