Marketing and Campaigns Manager
Salary: Circa £45,000 per annum
Location: Home Based (with the ability to travel and work flexibly)
To oversee the planning, development and execution of England Athletics’ marketing, campaigning and advertising strategies. Reporting to the Head of Participation, the Marketing & Campaigns Manager’s primary responsibility is to sustain and grow participation within the England Athletics family and influencing participation growth in the wider athletics and running market through successful marketing and campaigns initiatives.
The Marketing & Campaigns Manager role:
· Will lead the development and execution of branding and marketing strategies for EA
· Will develop and execute marketing plans to sustain and grow participation levels within the EA Family (SP1 & SP2)
· Will develop and execute marketing plans to influence participation growth in the wider athletics and running community, with a view to linking this growth into the EA family (SP3)
· Will develop and execute marketing plans to sustain and increase revenue for the business (Enablers)
· Will create, own and oversee all brand guidelines for EA, and develop and execute marketing communications that aim to improve brand awareness and favourability for all EA owned brands
Marketing & Branding Strategies
· Responsible for working with the Senior Leadership Team to develop a branding strategy for England Athletics, and overseeing the execution of a long-term plan (guided by the branding strategy) for the development of a successful England Athletics brand to achieve our strategic ambitions.
· Ensure brand guidelines are in place and adhered to for the portfolio of England Athletics brands.
· Work with the Head of Participation, and wider Senior Leadership Team, to develop and implement a marketing strategy to achieve the long-term ambitions set out in the EA Strategic Plan.
· Develop and execute detailed annual marketing plans with key targets and activities linked to the EA Operational Plan that look to sustain and grow participation levels in the EA Family (Strategic Priority 1 & 2), with specific focus on:
o Track & Field participants within EA member clubs
o Running participants within EA member clubs
o Running participants within RunTogether programmes
o Volunteer workforce within EA member clubs
o Volunteer workforce within RunTogether programmes
· Develop and execute detailed annual marketing plans with key targets and activities linked to the EA Operational Plan that look to influence participation growth in the wider athletics and running community (Strategic Priority 3).
· Develop and execute detailed annual marketing plans with key targets and activities linked to the EA Operational Plan that look to sustain and grow revenue for the business (Enablers).
· Ensure marketing tactics, channels and content are suitable for the target audience and offer a good return on investment.
· Monitor and be aware of ever changing industry and consumer trends to look for new cost-effective opportunities to engage target audiences.
· Lead the design, development and execution of specific marketing campaigns to achieve EA objectives
· Set campaign objectives, write briefs and implement robust evaluation methodology to demonstrate campaign effectiveness.
· Own and develop effective relationships with relevant marketing agencies.
· Evaluate performance against campaign objectives to provide recommendations for improvements relating to future campaigns.
· Utilise public relations (PR), where appropriate, as a method of driving brand awareness and favourability, and/or to promote clear calls to action through exposure and coverage in the media.
· Oversee, edit and review the production of engaging content for digital (including: e-newsletters, website content, social media posts) and offline (including: press releases, leaflets, posters, award submissions) publication
· Oversee the design, production and implementation of advertising (including: flyers, social media ads, print ads, radio spots, internet banners, billboards) for EA programmes, products and services.
· Utilise events, where appropriate, as a method of marketing key messages to target audiences.
· Work with EA colleagues in the Communications Team, and agencies where deemed necessary, to develop and implement content calendars and engagement strategies for all EA social media channels
· Work with EA colleagues in the Communications Team, and agencies where deemed necessary, to develop and implement marketing communications that aim to grow our digital communities (e.g. social media accounts and Coaches Club) and increase engagement levels through these channels.
· Work with the Business Development and Communications Teams to write and distribute marketing communications messages related to commercial partnerships to identified EA audiences
· Lead the development and roll out of all internal marketing related training programmes to staff and key volunteers.
· Work with the Head of Participation to develop and implement a plan that looks to engage the Government, and other relevant organisations, in issues relating to athletics and running that concern the public.
· Build alliances with the wider athletics and running community, through campaigning, that position EA as an authoritative voice in the market
· With guidance from the Head of Participation work strategically to influence key national and local partners such as Sport England, Other Run Industry partners, and Local Authorities.
· Budget Management – Responsible for developing and controlling annual marketing and campaigns budgets. Securing a good return on investment for expenditure and identifying opportunities to generate income where appropriate.
· Line Management – Line manage the Marketing Executive role ensuring successful execution of the post responsibilities. Support the post holder with their own continued professional development.
· Administration – wide range of tasks, including: taking meeting notes and following up on actions; researching and liaising with suppliers/agencies, updating document templates; responding to enquiries; organising competition prizes; general personal admin relating to diary management.
· EA Values – Be accountable for ensuring that all work delivered reflects and reinforces the core values of England Athletics namely Pride, Integrity and Inclusivity.
Required / Essential:
· Educated to degree level or an equivalent qualification, with extensive marketing strategy and insight experience in comparable senior roles.
· Evidence of continuing professional development throughout career.
· Formal marketing qualifications preferred, but not essential.
Required / Essential:
· Proven experience of developing, executing and overseeing marketing and campaign plans that successfully achieved strategy objectives
· A proven track record in developing successful, innovative solutions to challenging marketing problems on a limited budget.
· Demonstrable ability to lead and influence a range of internal and external stakeholders, including policy officials and partners across the public, charitable and commercial sector.
· Proven experience of utilising data and customer insight to inform and adapt marketing and campaign strategies and tactics to influence consumer behaviour change
· Experience of organising and managing projects, preferably within a community sport context
· Demonstrable experience of building strong and lasting relationships in a working environment
· Previous experience of inclusion work, preferably through sport
· Understanding and familiarity of Local Authorities, private leisure providers and other key stakeholders in the community sport landscape
· Previous experience of supporting and influencing volunteers to offer/deliver high quality experiences for those who participate in their activities
· Understanding and empathy with the athletics and running market stakeholders, the environment within which the market operates and related culture.
· Strategic thinker, with strong leadership and management skills
· Outstanding communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
· Evidence of good networking and influencing skills
· Superb analytical skills
· Thorough knowledge of marketing principles and branding
· Entrepreneurial spirit
· Passionate about customer advocacy
· Full driving licence
· Excellent IT skills including use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Closing date for applications is 24 August 2017