Head of Membership Services
Salary: £25,000 - £30,000 depending on experience
Contract: Permanent (Full time)
Location: Home-based, national role
The Association of British Climbing Walls (ABC) promotes the professionalism, health and growth of indoor climbing. It is an industry going through major change with new climbing walls opening all the time, and the sport featuring at the Olympics in 2020. In response, the ABC is accelerating the development of its organisation and the offer it provides to members. This role is central to the design and delivery of this offer.
There are currently ca 150 members of the ABC. They are managed by volunteer members of the Management Committee, its sub-committees and a one day a week Chief Executive. We have several project based staff currently working with the Association too.
Our ambition to is to increase the number of businesses associated with indoor climbing, especially walls, and to ensure that they receive an outstanding service from the ABC. It should be noted that this role is focused on business-to-business membership development.
The post holder will be required to build and maintain successful relationships with members of the ABC from the climbing wall industry. In return for an expected increase in membership fees, the post holder will need to ensure that more value is delivered directly to members; i.e. it is a mutually beneficial relationship.
The role is full-time, and home-based, though they will be connected to a range of ABC related staff and volunteers on a regular basis.
1. Build a new and enhanced membership offer to climbing wall members of the ABC
2. Deliver that offer to existing members in a manner that creates more value for all parties
3. Lead on recruitment of new members
4. Support the Membership Committee of the ABC in the execution of their duties
5. Define and launch a membership offer to wider trade partners
6. Lead the development of the ABC Walls website, Sport England Participation Database and Accident Reporting Database
7. Analyse the potential for further fee-paying services for members (such as consultancy, training and products) and, where appropriate, launch such services
8. Support the ABC in the design and delivery of an Annual Conference for indoor climbing, each September
9. Play an active role in the wider development of the ABC as an organisation, supporting indoor climbing to realise its potential
10. Support the Chief Executive in any other matters relating to the start up and running of the ABC
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Excellent knowledge of indoor climbing centres, including safety, operations, technical advice Business development capability in a business-to-business environment. Proven ability to negotiate and influence senior stakeholders
- Excellent people and inter-personal skills; relationship management is a vital function of this role Self-starting, with the ability to work as part of a geographically dispersed team, with limited supervision
- Experience of a business start-up environment
- Ability to write board-level reports
- Fluent in desktop IT, ideally with Digital Marketing experience
- Experience of leading complex projects working with a wide range of partners
- Experience of working with volunteers
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4) to Graham Atkins, CEO of the Association of British Climbing Walls: email@example.com
Closing date for applications is 18 August 2017