About Canoe Wales
Canoe Wales is the national governing body for paddle sport in Wales. We:
• Represent the interests of our club and individual members
• Advocate on behalf of the interests of the sport in Wales
• Provide coaching and development programmes from local to international level
• Stage national and international competitions.
We currently employ seven staff based across Wales, with our main office located at the National White Water Centre on the River Tryweryn in Bala and a hot desk at Sport Wales in Cardiff. We support more than 5,000 members and 71 canoe clubs which provide opportunities to paddle in a wide range of disciplines, including the Olympic disciplines of slalom and sprint.
Key responsibilities for the Independent Chairperson
• Provide strong and effective leadership to the Board and Canoe Wales;
• Ensure effective governance throughout the organisation;
• Attend meetings with strategic partners including Sport Wales and British Canoeing
• and be an ambassador for Canoe Wales at public events;
• Work closely with the General Manager to oversee the management of the Canoe
• Wales Strategic Plan.
Candidates for this position should be able to demonstrate effective Board experience, an understanding of governance issues and commercial or non-profit experience. Successful candidates do not need to have experience within the sport sector and applicants from other sectors who can bring in fresh ideas are welcome. In particular, we are looking for people who can offer skills, knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Legal Compliance
• Public sector or Charity sector
• Advertising and Marketing
• Safeguarding of children and adults at risk
At Canoe Wales we are committed to equality of opportunity and encourage applications from representatives of all people in our community – including those with no specific sporting background.
Whilst no remuneration is available for this role, all reasonable expenses incurred will be reimbursed in accordance with the Canoe Wales expenses policy.
The closing date for applications is 14 July 2017
A full recruitment pack and instructions for applying can be found on our website at http://www.canoewales.com/Vacancies
For further information about the role, please contact the General Manager, Jen Browning at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07496 018281.