Governance Manager (Maternity Cover)
Salary: Circa £40,000
Contract: Fixed term (maternity cover), up to 12 months
The Sport and Recreation Alliance is the umbrella organisation for the governing and representative bodies of sport and recreation in the UK and represents more than 320 members – organisations like The FA, the Rugby Football Union, UK Athletics, the Ramblers, British Rowing and the Exercise, Movement and Dance Partnership. The role of the Sport and Recreation Alliance is to speak up on their behalf, represent their views and to provide them with services which make their life easier.
One of the ways in which the Sport and Recreation Alliance supports its members is by providing guidance, training and advice on governance. The Governance Manager is responsible for leading our work in this area in order to help members improve their governance and achieve best practice.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Governance Managers works within the Policy, Governance and External Affairs Team and reports to the Director of Policy, Governance and External Affairs. The main responsibilities of the role are:
· Lead the organisation’s work on governance to safeguard the Alliance’s reputation as the leading organisation for governance support in the sector
· Develop governance projects, initiatives and services that reinforce the Alliance as the lead organisation for, and supplier of, governance support in the sector
· Plan and manage the governance resources including budgets assigned to relevant programmes
· Establish, lead and manage partnerships which provide members with access to events and resources that support their governance and organisational development including the Legal Panel Framework and the Finance and Governance Forum
· Represent the Sport and Recreation Alliance at appropriate external events and develop close member relations
· Be proactive in addressing governance issues which may affect our members, and in preparing members for the impact of these through briefing notes and other written communication
· Lead the delivery of the Alliance’s work with Sport Wales on sports governance, in particular the implementation of the Governance and Leadership Framework for Wales (GLFW)
· Willing to travel to Wales and other parts of the UK to work and liaise with sector peers
· Manage a governance team of 2-3 officers
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The Governance Manager should have detailed knowledge and experience of governance within regulatory or voluntary organisations. This is a role which will demand a flexible approach, the ability to work effectively in partnerships, and the ability to construct and deliver projects and programmes to support the Sport and Recreation Alliance’s members.
S/he will need to demonstrate the ability to:
· Manage a large and complex programme of work, engaging with senior external stakeholders
· Understand corporate governance and its application to different organisations;
· Provide expert advice and guidance to assist these organisations in meeting governance requirements in a manner that is both timely and cost efficient for all parties involved;
· Interact credibly with governance professionals from a range of sectors including legal, business and charity;
· Communicate effectively in face to face situations with a wide range of people including Sport and Recreation Alliance members and external stakeholders;
· Prepare high quality written communications demonstrating an ability to understand the readers and users of Alliance resources and services;
· Demonstrate project management experience – lead and contribute to team activities and projecs
· Manage relationships with external suppliers to secure effective services for Alliance members;
· Negotiate and communicate effectively with potential partners from a Commercial background;
· Manage the governance programme budgets, including income generation;
· Manage projects and programmes using project management principles in order to deliver a range of tasks, meet tight deadlines where necessary with high quality work, including when working with external projects and partners;
· Understands team management and collaborative working
· Understand his/her role and contribution to team projects and activities;
· Take ownership of an agreed work programme and demonstrate initiative in order to drive progress;
· Use Microsoft Office applications effectively.
It would be an advantage for the Governance Manager to be able to demonstrate:
· An understanding of the nature and operation of voluntary, membership or not for profit organisations at local or national level;
· An active interest or participation in sport and recreation.
How to apply
Please complete an Application Form, Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form and enclose a copy of your CV and return to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, telephone 020 7976 3920 for full details or email email@example.com.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Vijaya Panangipalli on 020 7976 3947 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 11.59pm on Sunday 11 June.
Interviews will be held on Monday 26 June and candidates are expected to make themselves available.
The Sport and Recreation Alliance is keen to further increase the diversity of its workforce and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
We appreciate the range of skills and experience our staff have to offer. In return for your enthusiasm and commitment, we commit to actively developing and supporting you. We also offer a very generous range of benefits including: pension, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme, employee assistance programme, childcare voucher scheme, gym contributions, private healthcare, volunteering days plus generous holiday entitlement.